Hanbury, a village, a township, and a parish in Staffordshire. The village stands on an eminence near the river Dove and the boundary with Derbyshire, 2½ miles SSE of Sudbury station on the North Staffordshire railway, and 7 NW by W of Burton-upon-Trent; commands a pleasant view of the heights of Derbyshire, and has a post and money order office under Burton-upon-Trent; telegraph office. New-borough. The township includes the hamlets of Hanbury Woodend, Coton, and Fauld. Acreage, 3288; population, 631. The parish contains also the township of Draycott-in-the-Clay, with the hamlets of Moreton and Stubby Lane. Population of the ecclesiastical parish, 1122. The townships of Marchington (population, 526), Marchington Woodlands (population, 319), andNewborough (population, 579) are now separate ecclesiastical parishes. The manor belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. A nunnery was founded here about 680 by Ethelred, king of Mercia, and put under the government of his sister, St Werbnrgh, who was buried and enshrined in it, but on the invasion of the Danes in 875 her body was removed to Chester, and the nunnery destroyed. There are gypsum quarries and mines. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £405. Patron,. The Bishop of Lichfield. The church is ancient, was restored in 1849, and contains several ancient tombs and a Norman font; the chancel was rebuilt in 1862, and has a memorial window to the late Prince Consort.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hanbury St. James|
|Poor Law union||Burton-upon-Trent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hanbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hanbury (St. James))
- Staffordshire and Warwickshire, Past and Present, 1884
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Hanbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser
Villages, Hamlets, &cCoton or Coton in the Clay
Draycott in the Clay