Grindon, a village and a parish in Staffordshire. The village lies between the rivers Manifold and Hamps, 8 miles SE of Leek. The parish includes also the hamlets of Deep-dale, Ford, Hillsdale, and Martinslow, and its post town is Leek. Acreage, 3274; population, 350. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £258 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church was rebuilt in 1848, and has a tower with an octagonal spire; in the churchyard are two stone coffins and a stone font, discovered under the old church. A fair is held on the Tuesday on or next to 1 Nov.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Grindon All Saints|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Grindon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Grindon (All Saints))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Grindon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser
Villages, Hamlets, &cDeepdale