Gratwich, a village and a parish in Staffordshire, near the river Blythe, 1½ mileNW of Grindley station on the G.N.R., and 4 miles W by S of Uttoxeter. Post town, Uttoxeter. Acreage, 865; population, 67. The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Kingston annexed, in the diocese of Lichfield, net value, £173 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot. The church is small.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Gratwich St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Uttoxeter|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Gratwich from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Gratwich (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Gratwich are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: