Gayton, a village and a parish in Staffordshire, near the river Trent and the Grand Trunk Canal, 1 mile NE of Weston station on the G.N.R. and the North Staffordshire railway, and 5 miles NE of Stafford. There is a post office under Stafford; money order office, Weston; telegraph office, Ingestre railway station. Acreage, 1515; population, 221, The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £140 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Harrowby. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1870; it contains an old Norman font and an ancient monument.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Gayton St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Stafford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Gayton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Gayton (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Gayton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: