Forton or Forton and Mere, a parish in Staffordshire, on a branch of the Birmingham and Liverpool Canal, contiguous to Salop, and about 1 mile NNE of Newport, Salop. It includes the hamlets of Sutton, Meertown, and Warton, and the post, money order, and telegraph office is at Newport. Acreage, 3529 of land and 217 of water; population, 576. Aqualate Hall, the seat of the lord of the manor, is a handsome mansion situated in a well-wooded deer park. Aqualate Mere is an extensive lake adjoining the park. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; tithe commuted at £450 with residence. The church is ancient, and contains a tomb of the 17th century.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Forton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Newport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Forton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Forton (All Saints))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Forton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser
Villages, Hamlets, &cMeertown