Fazeley, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Tamworth parish, Staffordshire. The village stands on Watling Street and on the Fazeley Canal, adjacent to the river Tame, 1 mile S of Tamworth. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Tamworth, and a station, jointly with Wilnecote, on the M.R. It is famous for the cotton manufacture carried on at it by the first Sir Eobert Peel. There are bleaching and cotton dye-works, and a smallware manufactory. A fair is held on the first Monday after 10 Oct. A bridge over the Tame here is on the line of Watling Street, and connects Staffordshire with Warwickshire. The Fazeley Canal goes into junction with the Coventry Canal. The township includes the .svillage, and also the liberties of Bangley, Bitterscote, Bonehill, and Dun-stall. Acreage, 2084; population, 1867. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1845; population, 1793. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £260 with residence. Patron, Sir E. Peel, Bart. The church is modern, and there are Congregational and Free Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Tamworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Fazeley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Fazeley)
Online maps of Fazeley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)