Farewell, a parish in Staffordshire, 2½ miles NW of Lich-field. It contains the hamlet of Chorley, and its post town is Lichfield. Acreage, 1031; population of the civil parish, 196; of the ecclesiastical, 204. A small Benedictine priory was founded here about 1140. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £118. Patron, the Marquis of Anglesey. The church is ancient, was rebuilt in 1745, except the chancel, which was the old priory chapel, and was restored in 1877, and more completely in 1887.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Farewell St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Lichfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Farewell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Farewell (St. Bartholomew))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Farewell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser