Endon, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in the township of Leek, Staffordshire. The village lies on the river Chumet, 5 miles SW of Leek, and 7 NE of Stoke-upon-Trent, and has a station on the North Staffordshire railway, and a post and money order office under Stoke-upon-Trent; telegraph office, railway station. Acreage, 5457; population, 1759; of the ecclesiastical parish, 1355. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £170. The church was built in 1737, restored in 1879, with further restoration in 1885. There are mission churches at Longsdon and Stanley, and Wesleyan chapels at Endon and Longsdon.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Leek|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Endon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Endon)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Endon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser