Ellenhall, a village and a parish in Staffordshire, 2 miles SSE of Eccleshall, 4 W of Norton-Bridge station on the L. & N.W. and North Staffordshire railways, and 3½ from Great Bridgeford station on the L. & N.W.R. Post town, Eccleshall. Acreage, 2549; population, 244. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £135 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Lichfield. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1886. It contains a Norman font; in the churchyard is an ancient cross. The shaft is ancient, but the cross is modern. A crucifix recently erected is in lieu of an ancient sun-dial.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ellenhall St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Stafford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ellenhall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ellenhall (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Ellenhall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: