Ellastone, a village, a township, and a parish in Staffordshire. The village stands about a mile from the river Dove, 1½ mile NW of Norbury station on the North Staffordshire railway, and 5 SW by W of Ashborne, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Ashborne. The township includes the village. Acreage of township, 755; population, 274; of the ecclesiastical parish, 986. The parish includes also the townships of Calwich, Prestwood, Wootton, Ramshorn or Ramsor, and Stanton. An ancient camp occurs at Weaver Hill, and ancient coins have been found there. The living is a vicarage, united with the perpetual curacy of Stanton, in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £163 with residence. The church is ancient, with an embattled tower, has monuments of the Fleetwoods, and was restored in 1883. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. Archbishop Sheldon was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ellastone St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Ashbourn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ellastone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ellastone (St. Peter))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Ellastone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser
Villages, Hamlets, &cCalwich
Ramshorn or Ramsor