Elford, a village and a parish in Staffordshire, on the river Tame, and on the verge of the county, 4½ miles ENE of Lichfield, and 5 N of Tamworth. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Tamworth, and a station, jointly with Haselour, on the M.R. Acreage, 2024; population, 373. The manor belonged before the Conquest to Earl Algar; passed to the Crown; went to successively the Ardemes, the Stanleys, Howards, and others. Elford Hall, the chief residence, was a frequent resort of Edward IV. for hunting, and gave lodging for a night to Henry VIL when on his way to Bosworth. The grounds connected with it contain two barrows. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £300 with residence. The church is ancient; was restored in 1872; and contains several fine altar tombs and other monuments.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Elford St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Lichfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Elford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Elford (St. Peter))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Elford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: