Edingale or Edinghall, Staffordshire
Edingale or Edinghall, a village and parish in Staffordshire, on the verge of the county, at the river Mease, 2 miles NE of Elford and Haselour station on the M.R., and 6 N of Tamworth. Post town, Tamworth; money order and telegraph office, Elford. Acreage, 871; population of the civil parish, 124; of the ecclesiastical, 165. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £140 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is ancient. Buckeridge, the antiquary, was incumbent.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Edinghall Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Tamworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Edingale or Edinghall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Edinghall, or Edengale (Holy Trinity))
- Staffordshire and Warwickshire, Past and Present, 1884
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Edingale or Edinghall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: