UK Genealogy Archives logo

Dunston, Staffordshire

Historical Description

Dunston, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Penkridge parish, Staffordshire, near the Stafford and Worcester Canal, 2¼ miles N by E of Penkridge, with a post office under Stafford; money order and telegraph office, Penkridge. Acreage, 1448; population, 257. The living is a vicarage, with that of Coppenhall annexed, in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £110 with residence. Patron, Lord Hatherton. The church is cruciform, and was rebuilt in 1876.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyStaffordshire 
Civil parishPenkridge 
HundredCuttlestone 
Poor Law unionPenkridge 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Dunston from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Dunston are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:

DistrictSouth Staffordshire
CountyStaffordshire
RegionWest Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtST18
Post TownStafford