Dunstall, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Tatenhill parish, Staffordshire, near the Grand Trunk Canal, 3 miles NW of Barton and Walton station on the M.R. and L. & N.W.R., and 4½ WSW of Burton-upon-Trent. There is a post office under Burton-upon-Trent; money order and telegraph office, Burton-under-Needwood. Acreage of the township, 1605; population, 246. Dunstall Hall, the seat of the Hardy family, is the chief residence. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1852; population, 243. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £250 with residence. The church is modern.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Burton-upon-Trent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dunstall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Dunstall)
- Staffordshire and Warwickshire, Past and Present, 1884
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Dunstall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: