UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Denstone, Staffordshire

Historical Description

Denstone, a township in Alton parish, and an ecclesiastical parish in the parishes of Alton, Ellastone, and Rocester, Staffordshire. The township has a station, Denstone Crossing, on the North Staffordshire railway, and is 5 miles N of Uttoxeter. It has a post and money order office under Stafford; telegraph office, Rocester. Acreage, 771; population, 537. Dove Leys is the chief residence. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1860. It includes the hamlets of Prestwood, Quixhill, and Stubwood. Population, 732. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £210 with residence. The church was erected in 1862. There is a mission church at Stubwood. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel. A great middle-class school,. called St Chad's College, was founded in 1868.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Maps

Online maps of Denstone are available from a number of sites:

DistrictEast Staffordshire
CountyStaffordshire
RegionWest Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtST14
Post TownUttoxeter

Advertisement

Advertisement