Croxton St Paul's, an ecclesiastical parish in the civil parish of Eccleshall, Staffordshire, comprising an area of 7805 acres. The village of Croxton is 3¼ miles WSW of Standon Bridge station on the L. & N.W.R., and 4 NW by W of Eccleshall. Post town, Eccleshall. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1856, and includes the townships of Croxton, Broughton, Gerard's Bromley, Podmore, Charnes, and Chat-cull. Population, 892. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £270 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church was erected in 1854. This parish is on the exact watershed of England; in one field are two springs, one forming the source of the river Sow (or Sough), a tributary of the Trent, running eastward to the sea by the Humber, the other being the source of a stream running westward by the Fern and Severn to the Bristol Channel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Stone|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Croxton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Croxton)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser