Croxden, a village and a parish in Staffordshire. The village stands on a tributary of the river Dove, 2¼ miles WNW of Rocester Junction station on the North Staffordshire railway, 2 S of Alton station on the same line, and 6 NNW of Uttoxeter. Post town, Stafford; money order and telegraph office, Alton. The parish includes the hamlets of Great Gate and Woottons. Acreage, 2447; population of the civil parish, 185; of the ecclesiastical, 227. An abbey was founded here in 1176, and the remains of it, including the west front, the south transept, and part of the cloister, show fine features of Early English. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £92. Patron, the Earl of Macclesfield. The church replaces an older one taken down in 1889.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Croxden St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Uttoxeter|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Croxden from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Croxden (St. Giles))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Croxden are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: