UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Cotton or Lower and Upper Cotton, Staffordshire

Historical Description

Cotton or Lower and Upper Cotton, a township-chapelry in Alton parish, Staffordshire, near the Uttoxeter 1 Canal, 2 miles ENE of Oakamoor station on the North Staffordshire railway, 3 N of Alton, and 6 NE of Cheadle. Post town, Cheadle under Stoke-upon-Trent; money order and telegraph office, Oakamoor. Acreage, 2276; population, 641. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Patron, the Vicar of Alton. The church was built in 1795. There is a Roman Catholic chapel, and a Roman Catholic college for boys of the middle classes.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyStaffordshire 
Civil parishAlveton 
HundredTotmonslow 
Poor Law unionCheadle 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Cotton or Lower and Upper Cotton from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Cotton or Lower and Upper Cotton are available from a number of sites: