Colton, a village and a parish in Staffordshire. The village stands near the river Trent and the Grand Trunk Canaly 2 miles N by E of Rugeley, under which it has a post office; money order and telegraph office, Rugeley. The parish includes also the hamlets of Stockwell Heath, Lee Lane, and Newlands. Acreage, 3672; population, 731. Bellamour Hall, Bellamour Lodge, and Colton House are the chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lich-field; net value, £339 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1851, but has the tower and south chancel of a previous Early English building. There are almshouses, and a school endowed with £80 per annum.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Colton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Lichfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Colton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Colton (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Colton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser
Villages, Hamlets, &cLea Lane