UK Genealogy Archives logo

Clifton Campville, Staffordshire

Historical Description

Clifton-Campville, a village, a township, and a parish in Staffordshire, on the river Meese, 3½ miles E of Haselour and Elford station on the M.R., and 5½ NE of Tamworth, And has a post office under Tamworth; money order office, 64 Newton Regis; telegraph office, Elford. The parish contains also the village and the ecclesiastical parish of Chilcote (Derbyshire), and the hamlet of Haunton. Acreage of Clifton-Campville township, 3347; population, 462; of the ecclesiastical parish, 567. The manor was held before the Conquest by Earl Algar, and is now in possession of the Pye family. Clifton-Campville Hall, the manor house, is an ancient mansion surrounded by an extensive park. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Chilcote, in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £692 with residence. The church is ancient, has a very fine spire, and contains an ancient brass and monuments of the Vernon and Pye families. There is a Roman Catholic chapel at Haunton.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyStaffordshire 
Ecclesiastical parishClifton-Campville St. Andrew 
HundredRepton and Gresley 
Poor Law unionTamworth 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Clifton Campville from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Clifton Campville are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:


Villages, Hamlets, &c

Haunton
DistrictLichfield
CountyStaffordshire
RegionWest Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtB79
Post TownTamworth