Church Eaton, Staffordshire
Church-Eaton, a village and a parish in Staffordshire. The village stands 2¼ miles SSE of Gnosall station on the L. & N.W.R., 5½ NW of Penkridge, and 6½ SW of Stafford. It has a post office under Stafford; money order and telegraph office, Gnosall. The parish includes also the liberties of Marston, Wood-Eaton, Orslow, High Onn, Little Onn, ½Shushions, and the hamlet of Goosemoor. Acreage, 4283; population, 616. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £540. Patron, the Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot. The church is chiefly Norman, and was restored in 1886.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Church Eaton St. Edith|
|Poor Law union||Penkridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Church Eaton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Eaton, Church (St. Edith))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Church Eaton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser
Villages, Hamlets, &cGoose Moor
Marston (Church Eaton)
Onn, High and Little