Chorlton or Chapel Chorlton, Staffordshire
Chorlton or Chapel Chorlton, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Eccleshall parish, Staffordshire, 2 miles N of Standon Bridge station, and 2½ SE of Whit-more station on the L. & N.W.R., and 6 N by W of Eccleshall. It contains the villages of Chapel and Hill Chorlton, the hamlet of Coombs, and part of the hamlet of Stableford Bridge. Its post town is Newcastle-under-Lyme; money order and telegraph office, Whitmore. Acreage, 1983; population, 373. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lich-field; gross value, £290 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church was rebuilt in 1827 and restored in 1887. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels at Hill Chorlton.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Newcastle-under-Lyme|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chorlton or Chapel Chorlton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Chorlton)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: