Chesterton, a village and a township in Wolstanton parish, and an ecclesiastical parish in Wolstanton and Audley parishes, Staffordshire. The township lies 2 miles WNW of Burslem, and 2 NW of Newcastle-under-Lyme, under which it has a post, money order, and telegraph office. A castle stood here before the Conquest, but has disappeared. The ecclesiastical parish consists of the township with part of the township of Chatterley and part of the hamlet of Bed Street, and was constituted in 1846. Population, 8266. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is recent, in the Early English style, with handsome tower and spire. There are two mission churches, and Wesleyan, Primitive, New Connexion, Free Methodist, and Baptist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Newcastle-under-Lyme|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chesterton from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Chesterton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: