Cheslyn Hay, Staffordshire
Cheslyn-Hay, a village and a parish (formerly extra-parochial) in Staffordshire, 1 mile from Wyrley station on the L. & N.W.R., and 2 miles S of Cannock. Acreage, 819; population, 2066. There are collieries and brick and tile works; also Primitive and New Connexion Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Penkridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cheslyn Hay from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cheslyn-Hay)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Cheslyn Hay are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: