Chebsey, a village, a township, and a parish in Staffordshire. The village lies on the river Sow, 1½ mile S of Norton Bridge station on the L. & N.W.R. and North Staffordshire railway, and 2 miles E of Eccleshall. It has a post office under Eccleshall; money order and telegraph office, Eccleshall. The parish contains also the township of Cold Norton. Acreage, 4172; population of Chebsey, 462; with Cold Norton, 536. The manor belonged to the Hastings family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £317 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chebsey All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Stone|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chebsey from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Chebsey (All Saints))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Chebsey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser
Villages, Hamlets, &cCold Norton