Cheadle, a market-town, a parish, and the head of a poor law union and county court district in Staffordshire. The town stands in a valley environed by high hills, near the river Tean, and has a station on the branch of the North Staffordshire railway from Cresswell. It is 7 miles E of Longton, 10 S of Leek, 10 NW of Uttoxeter, and 10 ESE of Stoke-upon-Trent. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Stoke-upon-Trent, and is a seat of petty sessions. The parish church was rebuilt in 1837, is poor in style, but large. The Roman Catholic church was built in 1843-46 by the Earl of Shrewsbury after designs by Pugin. It is superbly decorated, is in the Decorated English style, and consists of nave, aisles, and chapels, with a fine western tower and spire 200 feet high. There are Congregational, Wesleyan, Primitive, and New Connexion Methodist chapels. Markets are held on Fridays, and fairs on 6 Jan., Holy Thursday, 4 July, 21 Aug., and 18 Oct. There is a large tape manufactory and a cotton mill, and collieries in the neighbourhood. There are gas and waterworks, a workhouse, and two banks; a weekly newspaper is published. A fine town-hall was erected in 1894. Acreage, 6742; population of the civil parish, 4883; of the ecclesiastical, 4067. The parish includes also the hamlets of Freehay, Cheadle-Grange, Cheadle-Mill, Above Park, Brookhouses, Mobberley, Ten-ford, the Common, Huutley, and part of Oakamoor. Coal and iron-stone abound. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; value, £350 with residence. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The ecclesiastical parishes of Freehay and Oakamoor are separate benefices.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cheadle St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Cheadle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cheadle from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cheadle (St. Giles))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Cheadle are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser
Villages, Hamlets, &cBrookhouses