Chartley Holme, Staffordshire
Chartley Holme, formerly extra-parochial, now a parish in Staffordshire, 6 miles SW by W of Uttoxeter, and 8 NE of Stafford. It has a station called Chartley on the G.N.R. Post town, Stafford; money order office, Weston; telegraph office, Chartley railway station. Acreage, 1707; population, 37. Stowe-by-Chartley belonged to the De Blundeville, the Ferrars, the Deverens, and the Shirley families, and belongs now to Earl Ferrers. Robert Devereux, the celebrated Earl of Essex, lived here. His grandfather, Viscount Hereford and Lord Ferrers of Chartley, lies in Stowe-by-Chartley church, in the chancel of which there is a handsome monument to his memory. Chartley Hall, the seat of Earl Ferrers, is a small moated mansion, which has been twice partially burnt; it contains the room in which Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned. The park of 1000 acres contains a herd of wild cattle. On the summit of an adjacent hill are the ruins of a castle built in 1229 by Ranulph Blundeville, Earl of Chester; they consist of two round towers.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Stafford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chartley Holme from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Chartley-Holme)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: