Chapel Chorlton, Staffordshire
Chapel Chorlton, a village and a parish in Staffordshire. The village is 2 miles N of Standon Bridge station on the L. & N.W.R., U SE of Whitmore, and 6 N by W of Eccles-hall. Post town, Newcastle-under-Lyme; money order and telegraph office, Whitmore. The parish includes also the village of Hill Chorlton, the hamlet of Coombs, and part of that of Stableford Bridge. Acreage, 1983; population, 373. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church was rebuilt in 1827 and restored in 1887. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels at Hill Chorlton.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Chapel Chorlton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser