Cauldon or Caldon, a village and a parish in Staffordshire, on the river Hamps, 3½ miles ENE of Froghall station on the North Staffordshire railway, and 7 WNW of Ashborne, which is the post town; money order office, Waterhouses; telegraph office, Oakamoor. Acreage, 1494; population, 295. Much of the surface is barren moor. Excellent limestone is extensively quairied on the lofty hill of Cauldon Lowe, and sent on a railway of three inclined planes to the Cauldon Canal at Froghall. Good fossil marble also is found. The river Hamps runs a long distance in the neighbourhood underground. Urns and flint-headed arrows have been found at Big-Lowe. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £148 with residence. The church is small, has a tower with pinnacles, and was restored in 1887; it contains monuments to the families of Cropper, Wilmot, Marshall, and Whieldon. There is a reading-room in the parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cauldon St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Cheadle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cauldon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Cauldon (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Cauldon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: