Castle Church, Staffordshire
Castle-Church, a parish in Staffordshire, adjoining the south-western suburbs, partly within the borough of Stafford, and including the liberty of Forebridge and the townships of Burton and Rickerscote. Post town, Stafford. Acreage, 3933; population of the civil parish, 6384; of the ecclesiastical, 1154. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £182 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is an ancient building, partly Norman and Early English, and was restored in 1844. It is situated near Stafford Castle. St Paul's, Forebridge, is a separate ecclesiastical parish within the borough of Stafford. The church is a cruciform edifice erected in 1844.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Castle-Church St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Stafford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Castle Church from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Castle-Church (St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser
Villages, Hamlets, &cForebridge