Canwell, formerly extra-parochial, now a parish, in Staffordshire, on the verge of the county, 5 miles SW of Tarnworth, which is the post town; money order and telegraph office, Sutton Coldfield. Acreage, 347; population, 78. Cauwell Hall is the seat of the Foster family. A Benedictine priory was founded here in 1142 by Geva, daughter of Hugh Lupus, and given at the dissolution to Cardinal Wolsey; a few traces still remain.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Tamworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Canwell from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: