Calton, three townships and a chapelry in Staffordshire. The townships are Calton-in-Mayfield, Calton-in-Blore, and Calton-in-Waterfall; they lie in three several parishes, designated in their respective names; and they are contiguous to one another at a point 2½ miles W of the river Dove, 4½ ENE of Froghall station on the North Staffordshire railway, and 6½ NW by W of Ashborne, which is the post town; money order office, Waterhouses; telegraph office, Church Mayfield. Acreage, 1542; population, 221. The chapelry includes also a detached part of Croxden parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £100. The church was restored in 1875. A fair is held on 20 Sept.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Calton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: