Butterton (Mayfield), Staffordshire
Butterton, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Mayfield civil parish, Staffordshire, 5 miles S of Longnor, and 8 E of Leek, which is the post town; money order office, Wetton; telegraph office, Hartington. Acreage of township, 1499; population, 246. In the neighbourhood are several ancient barrows. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. The church was rebuilt in 1872, and has an embattled tower with a spire. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Butterton (Mayfield) from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: