Burntwood, a hamlet, a joint township with Chase Town, and an ecclesiastical parish in the parish of St Michael, Lichfield, Staffordshire. The hamlet lies 2 miles NNW of Hammerwich station on the L. & N.W.R, and 3½ W of Lichfield. It has a post and money order office under Lichfield, which is the telegraph office. The township includes also the hamlets of Edial and Woodliouses. Acreage (with Chase Town), 4425, population, 7113. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1845; population, 2827. Chase Town is a separate ecclesiastical parish. There are extensive collieries, owned by the Cannock Chase Colliery Company, in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £362 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of St Mary's, Lichfield, The church is a brick edifice, erected in 1819, and has an embattled western tower. Maple Hayes, situated on an eminence about 1½ mile from Lichfield, is the chief residence. The Marquis of Anglesey is lord of the manor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Lichfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Burntwood from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Burntwood)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Burntwood are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: