Brownhills, a village and an urban sanitary district in Staffordshire. The village is in Ogley Hay ecclesiastical parish, near Cannock Chase, 5½ miles NNE of Walsall, and 6 W of Lichfield. It has a station on the L. & N.W.R. and also on the Brownhills and Alridge branch of the M.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Walsall. There are extensive coal mines, giving employment to a considerable population. The village is governed by a local board. There are Congregational, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels. Area of the urban sanitary district, 8842 acres; population, 13,703.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Brownhills are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: