Brewood, (pronounced Brood), a small town and a parish in Staffordshire, in the petty sessional division of Penkridge. The town stands on an eminence near Watheng Street and the river Penk, and on the Birmingham and Liverpool Canal, 2½ miles WNW of Four Ashes station on the L. & N.W.R., 4½ SW by S of Penkridge, 4½ N of Codsall station, 8 from Wolverhampton, its market town, 11 from Stafford, and 134½ from London. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Stafford. It formerly had a weekly market, and still has a fair on 19 Sept. There is a library and reading-room, and a bank. The parish includes also the liberties of Chillington, Somerford, Engleton, Horsebrook, Coven, Kiddermore-Green, and Hattons and Gunstone. Acreage, 12,152; population of the civil parish, 2667; of the ecclesiastical, 1590. Before the Conquest Brewood was a residence of the Bishops of the See of Mercia, and continued such until the 13th century. The last bishop resident was Roger de Weseham, who died there in 1258. Chillington Hall has been since the reign of Henry II. The seat of the Giffard family. The present mansion, -which stands in an extensive well-wooded park, was built in the 18th century on the ruins of the old house, which was partially destroyed after a siege sustained against the Parliamentarian forces in the Civil War. Queen Elizabeth visited Chillington in 1575. Brewood Hall was the seat of the Fowkes and Plimley families. Somerford Hall, another mansion in this parish, was the seat of the Barbors, and now belongs to the Monckton family. Two nunneries, Cistercian and Benedictine, were founded in the parish, the former in the reign of Richard I. or of John; they were known as the White Ladies and the Black Ladies, and they figure under these names in the narrative of Charles II.'s concealment in the neighbouring locality of Boscobel, after the battle of Worcestershire. The Black Ladies, in an excellent state of preservation, is now a farmhouse; the White Ladies, a ruin, has almost disappeared. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £293 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is chiefly Perpendicular, and was restored in 1879; it has a handsome tower and spire, and contains many ancient monuments to the Giffard, Monckton, Plimley, and other families. Kiddemore Green is included in Bishopswood ecclesiastical parish, and Coven is also a separate benefice. There are Roman Catholic, Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels. There is a grammar school, founded by Dr. Knightley in the time of Queen Elizabeth, and at which Bishop Hurd and Sir E. Littleton were educated. The trades of lockmaking, mailing, brewing, and tanning, formerly carried on, have almost entirely died out owing to want of railway facilities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Penkridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brewood from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Brewood)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Brewood are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser