Branstone or Branson, Staffordshire
Branstone or Branson, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Burton-upon-Trent parish, Staffordshire, on the Grand Trunk Canal, 2 miles SW of Burton-upon-Trent, under which there is a post office, and at which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage of township, 2482; population, 1422. The parish was constituted in 1870. The Marquis of Anglesey is lord of the manor. Sinai Park is in this township, and there are remains of a Roman camp. The church is a plain brick building erected in 1864. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £140 with residence. There is also a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Burton upon Trent|
|Poor Law union||Burton-Upon-Trent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Branstone or Branson from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Branstone)
- Staffordshire and Warwickshire, Past and Present, 1884
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: