Bobbington, a parish in Staffordshire and Salop, 3½ miles W of the river Stour, 5½ NW of Kingswinford, and 8 WNW of Stourbridge. It includes the hamlet of Halfpenny Green, and has a post office under Stourbridge; money order office, Claverley, 2¼ miles distant; telegraph office, Kinver, 6 miles distant. Acreage, 2680; population of the civil parish, 367; of the ecclesiastical, 336. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £98 with residence. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1878. New schools were built in 1892, and the endowment of a former school was merged into the general fund. Leaton Hall, the seat of the lord of the manor, is the chief residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bobbington St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Seisdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bobbington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bobbington (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Bobbington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser