Blymhill, a village and a parish in Staffordshire, near Watheng Street, 6 miles NW by W of Brewood, 6 SE of Newport station on the L. & N.W.R., and 6 ENE of Shifnal station on the G.W.R., with a post office under Shifnal; money order and telegraph office, Weston-under-Lizard. The parish includes the hamlets of Brineton and Brockhurst. Acreage, 3024; population, 532. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £474 with residence. Patron, Earl of Bradford. The church, which is dedicated to St Mary, is ancient, and was repaired in 1859; it contains memorials to the Dickenson family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Blymhill St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Shiffnall|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Blymhill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Blymhill (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Blymhill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser