Blithfield, a township and a parish in Staffordshire. The township lies on the river Blithe, 2 miles W by S of Abbots-Bromley, 3½ N of Rugeley, and 4 ENE of Colwich station on the L. & N.W.R. and North Staffordshire railway. It includes the hamlet of Admaston, at which there is a post office under Rugeley; money order and telegraph office, Abbots Bromley. The parish includes also the liberty of Newton. Acreage, 3219, population, 292. Blithfield Hall is the seat of Lord Bagot, who is lord of the manor; it stands in an extensive park, and forms a large quadrangle with a tower and pinnacles, and contains some interesting portraits. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £320 with residence. Patron, Lord Bagot. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1851; it contains an ancient stone font and carved oak benches and chancel screen, piscina and sedilia, some windows containing 14th century glass, six bells, and monuments and brasses to the Bagot family. In the churchyard there is a cross, the base of which is probably older than the church. There is a school partly supported by an endowment.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Blithfield St. Leonard|
|Poor Law union||Uttoxeter|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The registers date from the year 1538.
Church of England
St. Leonard (parish church)
The church of St. Leonard is an edifice of stone in the Transition style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells, of which two were the gift of Hugh Lupus, Duke of Westminster, on the occasion of the coming of age of Lord Bagot, January 19th, 1878; and one being added in 1887: the chancel has a handsome marble reredos, carved oak communion table, and retains a double piscina and sedilia; there are two recumbent effigies in marble of Richard Bagot and his wife Mary, dated 1596, and on the north side of the chancel are two ancient altar tombs to the Bagot family, one of which, with kneeling effigies and arms, is inscribed to Sir Lewis Bagot, and Anne and Emma his wives, 1534; in the wall on the north side is a plain stone tablet inlaid with brass, in the form of a cross, with a border of the same inscribed to Harriet, widow of the Hon. and Right Rev. Richard Bagot, Bishop of Bath and Wells (1845-54), and some time rector of Blithfield: in the south aisle is a table to Thomas Townson D.D. rector of this parish from 1749 to 1759: in the vestry is an oak tablet bearing the arms of the Bagot family, from the 11th to the 16th century, and in the nave, hidden beneath the seats, is a broken alabaster slab with two male figures, apparently representing two sons of Thomas Colwiche of Colwich, esquires to Sir Lewis Bagot, and Joan, his wife, 1508: the windows, including the east window, are stained, and some retain glass of the 14th and 15th centuries: there is an ancient stone font with carved oak cover: some of the bench ends and the chancel screen, which are of the 15th century, are of oak and beautifully carved; the latter, together with the chancel stalls, was restored in 1880 in memory of the Rev. the Hon. H. C. Bagot, a former rector (d. 1879): the church was thoroughly repaired and restored in 1851: the organ was repaired and added to in 1897 by subscription of parishioners and friends, as a memorial to the late Lord and Lady Bagot: outside, on the south wall of the chancel, is a recumbent figure of Alfred de Blythfield, priest of Hulcrombe in the 12th century: there are 180 sittings. In the churchyard is an ancient cross, the shaft and head of which were restored in 1904.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Blithfield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Blithfield (St. Leonard))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser