UK Genealogy Archives logo

Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire

Historical Description

Wood Ditton, a village and a parish in Cambridgeshire, 3½ miles from Newmarket station on the G.E.R., with a post office under Newmarket; money order and telegraph office, Newmarket. The parish contains the hamlets of Ditton Green, Little Ditton, Saxon Street, and part of Newmarket. Acreage, 4852; population, 2048, but without the Newmarket portion only 817. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; gross value, £240 with residence. The church is a very ancient building of flint in the Early English style. There are Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Congregational chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCambridgeshire 
Ecclesiastical parishDitton Wood St. Mary 
HundredCheveley 
Poor Law unionNewmarket 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Wood Ditton from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Wood Ditton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.

DistrictEast Cambridgeshire
CountyCambridgeshire
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtCB8
Post TownNewmarket