Barton under Needwood, Staffordshire
Barton-under-Needwood, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Tatenhill civil parish, Staffordshire. The village stands on the Grand Trunk Canal and the river Trent, 1 mile W of Barton and Walton station on the M.R., and 5¼ SW of Burton-upon-Trent. It has a post office under Burton-upon-Trent. Several fine villas are in the neighbourhood, including Barton Hall and Fulbrook House. The township comprises 3775 acres; population, 1765. A cottage hospital, with six beds, was established in 1879. The Barton Gas Company have their works here. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1881; population, 1753. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £419 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is Later English, and was built in the time of Henry VIII. by Dr John Taylor, Master of the Rolls and Archdeacon of Derby and Buckingham, a native of the village. It has an embattled tower with pinnacles, some stained windows and memorial tablets; it was restored in 1864. St James' Mission Chapel was erected in 1880 by Lady Hardy in memory of her son, who died in the Zulu War. There are Wesleyan Methodist and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Burton-upon-Trent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of St. James dates from the year 1571.
Church of England
St. James (parish church)
St. James's church, built in 1533 by Dr. John Taylor, archdeacon of Derby and Buckingham and Master of the Rolls (1527-33), and formerly a chapel of ease to Tatenhill, is an edifice of stone in the Late Perpendicular style; consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north and south porches and a large embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 8 bells: it was thoroughly restored, reseated with open benches and the aisles widened in 1864, at a cost of £2,600: there are seven stained windows, the west window being the gift of W. B. Holland esq. and several marble tablets, one of which is dated 1691: in 1885 a new organ was given by J. C. Grinling esq. J.P. when alterations were also made in the chancel: the church was further restored in 1896 at a cost of about £2,500, and affords 650 sittings.
St. James' Mission Chapel
St. James' mission chapel at Barton Turn was erected in 1880 by Lady Hardy, of Dunstall, in memory of her son, Lieutenant Henry John Hardy, Rifle Brigade, who died in Natal, 4th October, 1879, during the Zulu war: it consists of chancel, nave and south porch, and affords 100 sittings.
Primitive Methodist Chapel
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barton under Needwood from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Barton-Under-Needwood)
- Staffordshire and Warwickshire, Past and Present, 1884
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: