Ashley, a village and a parish in Staffordshire, 4 miles SW of Whitmore station on the L. & N.W.R., and 5 ENE of Market-Drayton. It contains the village of Ashley-Heath, and part of the hamlet of Hook-Gate, and has a post office under Market-Drayton; money order and telegraph office, Whitmore. Acreage, 2821; population, 797. There is a Roman camp on a site 803 feet high. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; value, £430. The church is a fine edifice, in the Decorated style, with an embattled tower. It was restored in 1861, and was also enlarged by a chapel which contains handsome monuments of the Kinnersleys. There are chapels for Roman Catholics, Wesleyans, Congregation-alists, and Primitive Methodists.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ashley St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Market-Drayton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1551.
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The church of St. John the Baptist, restored in 1861, is a building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, transept, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 3 bells: the church was enlarged in 1861 by the erection of a chapel on the south side at the expense of the late Thomas Kinnersly esq. of Clough Hall; in this chapel are six beautifully sculptured marble monuments, by Chantrey, Noble, Ternough and other sculptors, to different members of the Kinnersly family: a lady chapel and vestry were added in 1910, and carved oak screens; choir stalls, and a reredos were placed in the chancel; a new organ was also provided, and the church reseated; the whole of the cost, amounting to over £7,000, was defrayed by the late Hon. Frederick George Lindley Meynell, of Hoar Cross (d. 1910): a monument was erected in 1910 in the lady chapel to the late Hugo Charles Meynell Ingram and Charlotte Elizabeth, his wife: on the east side of the chancel are some ancient monuments with effigies of the Lords Gerard of Bromley: there are 350 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ashley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ashley (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Ashley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser