Anslow, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Rolleston parish, Staffordshire, near the Grand Trunk Canal, 2 miles S of Tutbury station on the North Staffordshire railway, and 4 NW of Burton-on-Trent. Acreage, 1564; population of the township, 402; of the ecclesiastical parish, which includes part of the civil parish of Tutbury, 564. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; value, £213. The church is imitation Norman, built in 1850. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Burton-upon-Trent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1862.
Church of England
Holy Trinity (parish church)
The church of the Holy Trinity is a small building of stone in the Norman style, consisting of nave and a western turret containing one bell: there is a memorial window to Captain Tennant R.N. d. January 2nd, 1862: the church was restored in 1880 at a cost of £500, and affords 220 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Anslow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Anslow, or Annesley)
- Staffordshire and Warwickshire, Past and Present, 1884
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Anslow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: