Amblecoat or Amblecote, a township and an ecclesiastical parish, in Old Swinford parish, Staffordshire. The former stands on the southern verge of the county, at the river Stour; and is suburban to Stourbridge, being separated from it only by the river. Post town, Stourbridge. Acreage, 665; population, 2876. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in glass-works, collieries, and iron-works. There is an extensive bed of fireclay in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; value, £260. The church stands on an eminence, was opened in 1842, and is a pleasing structure of fire-brick in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Old Swinford|
|Poor Law union||Stourbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1842.
Church of England
Holy Trinity (parish church)
The church of the Holy Trinity, erected on a site given by George, 7th Earl of Stamford and last of Warrington, is a structure of firebrick in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and one bell: the east window is a memorial to James Foster esq. and was erected by his employes: there are 700 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Amblecote from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Amblecoat)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: