Alstonfield or Alstonefield, Staffordshire
Alstonfield or Alstonefield, a village, a township, and a parish on the NE border of Staffordshire, contiguous to Derbyshire. The village stands on the river Dove, 7 miles NNW of Ashbourne station on the North Staffordshire railway, and has a post office under Ashbourne; telegraph office, Hartington. The township contains the hamlets of Stanshope, Mill Dale, Hope and Narrowdale. Acreage, 2938; population of the civil parish, 476; of the ecclesiastical, 522. The parish contains also the townships of Heathilee, Quarnford, Hollingsclough, Longnor, Fawfieldhead, and Warslow and Elkstone. The scenery is wild and romantic; the neighbouring streams afford good sport to anglers, and it is recorded that Isaak Walton and his friend Cotton fished here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £305. The church is a beautiful structure, with a pinnacled tower, mainly in the Late Tudor style, but with remains belonging to earlier styles; it contains a finely carved oaken pulpit. In the churchyard is an ancient stone font, and a stone coffin. The restoration of the church extended from 1875 to 1886. Quarnford, Longnor, and Warslow and Elkstone are separate benefices.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Alstonfield St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Leek|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1538.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is a building of stone, with a few Norman remains, but is chiefly of Late Perpendicular date, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing a clock and 3 bells, the largest of which is dated 1680 and the other two 1677: in the chancel is a mural monument to Roger Farmer A.M. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, a former vicar, 1682, and on the south side is a double piscina: the stained east window is a memorial to Sir George Harpur Crewe bart. of Calks Abbey, Derby, and Warslow Hall, Stafford, d. January, 1844, and there are two others: in 1908 a memorial was erected to the Rev. William Henry Purchas, vicar 1870-1904, at a cost of about £25, defrayed by the parishioners: the pulpit and reading desk combined are of oak, finely carved, and has the date 1637: in the churchyard is an ancient stone font and a stone coffin, as well as portions of several early crosses, discovered during the restoration: on the outside wall at the east end are two stones with the initials L. B. and date 1590; these were retained from the previous dilapidated chancel, and testify that it had been erected under the care of Lawrence Beresford, who lived here: the church was fully restored between the years 1875-86 at a cost of £1,485, a north porch being added in 1880: there are 242 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Alstonfield or Alstonefield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Alstonfield (St. Peter))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Alstonfield or Alstonefield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser
Villages, Hamlets, &cFawfield Head
Upper and Lower Elkstone