Adbaston, a township and a parish in Staffordshire. The township lies near the Shrewsbury Canal, 5 miles W by S of Eccleshall, and 6 from Newport (Salop) station on the L. & N.W.R. Post town, Newport (Salop); money order and telegraph office, Eccleshall. At Knighton, which is included in the township, are 1000 acres bequeathed to the grammar school at Newport. The parish contains also the townships of Flashbrook, Bishops-Offley, and Tunstall. Acreage, 4638 (including 28 of water); population, 568. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £286. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is very good, and has been restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Adbaston St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Newport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the rear 1600.
Church of England
St. Michael (parish church)
The church of St. Michael is a building, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, north and south porches and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 4 bells: there is a priest's bell: in the church is a tablet to William Wakeley, d. 1715, at the age of 125 years, as appears from the register of deaths: the stained east window was placed by Miss Newton in memory of her mother, whose remains lie in the chancel, which has also been restored chiefly at Miss Newton's expense: "Reginaldus Dominus de Adbaston" was interred here in 1440; his arms, with those of his wife, still remain in the windows of the church, restored in 1888 by Miss Newton, and further restored and reseated with oak in 1890, at a total cost of £1,800, and re-opened by the Bishop of Shrewsbury, 29 Oct. 1890: the tower was restored in 1893, and in 1894 a south porch of stone and carved oak was erected and a new oak pulpit, on a pedestal of alabaster, presented by Miss Newton: there are sittings for 250 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Adbaston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Adbaston (St. Margaret))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Adbaston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser
Villages, Hamlets, &cBatchacre