Acton Trussell, Staffordshire
Acton-Trussell and Bednall, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Staffordshire, on the river Penk and the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal, 3½ miles SE of Stafford, and 3½ NE of Penkridge station on the L. & N.W.R. There is a post office under Stafford; money order and telegraph office, Penkridge. Population, 490. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £300. It is in the gift of the Hulme trustees. The church at Acton was restored in 1870. It is an ancient stone building in the Early Decorated style, and contains many fine stained windows. The church at Bednall was rebuilt in 1844. the Earl of Lichfield is lord of the manor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Penkridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1571.
Church of England
The church of All Saints, Bednall, rebuilt about the year 1844, is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, north porch and a western belfry with spire, containing one bell and clock, given by Mrs. Heath and Miss Stokes, by whom also a stained east window was presented, and a fine west window was given in 1895 by Mrs. Heath: the organ was erected in 1887, at a cost of £200, as a memorial of Queen Victoria's Jubilee.
St. James (parish church)
The church of St. James, Acton, formerly belonging to the Priory of St. Mary, Stafford, is an ancient building of stone in the Early Decorated style, and consists of nave with sacristy, north transept, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles and a small spire containing 3 bells: it was restored in 1870 at cost of £1,154, under the direction of the late G. E. Street esq. R.A. and contains much beautiful stained glass and an interesting monument to Richard Neville, of Rickerscote, 1728: an organ was provided by subscriptions, in 1895, at a cost of £200.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Acton Trussell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Acton-Trussell)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Acton Trussell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: