Yeovilton, a parish, with a village and two hamlets, in Somerset, 1½ mile E of Ilchester, and 4½ miles from Yeovil station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Ilchester, under Taunton. Acreage, 1779; population, 217. The manor was known to the Saxons as Geviltone, belonged at the Norman Conquest to W. du Ewe, passed to W. de Botreaux and others, and belongs now to the Wingfield Digby family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £320 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, with an embattled western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Yeovilton St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Yeovil|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Yeovilton 1655-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Yeovilton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Yeovilton (St. Bartholomew))
Online maps of Yeovilton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.