Yatton, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village has a station on the G.W.R., 130 miles from London, and 4½ S by E of Clevedon, and a post, money order, and telegraph office. The parish contains also Cleeve village and Claverham hamlet, and comprises 5602 acres; population of the civil parish, 1870; of the ecclesiastical, 1478. There is a parish council consisting of five members. A cattle market is held on the second Monday in each month. The tract around Cleeve presents some picturesque and diversified scenery. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is cruciform and Decorated and Later English. The vicarages of Cleeve and Kenn are separate benefices in the patronage of the Vicar. There are two dissenting chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Yatton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Bedminster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Yatton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Yatton (St. Mary))
Online maps of Yatton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.